- ARDRISSAIG, a village, in the parish of South Knapdale, county of Argyll; containing about 400 inhabitants. This village, situated at the harbour of Ardrissaig, in Loch Gilp, a branch of Loch Fine, has sprung up since the commencement of the Crinan canal, in 1793, and is of respectable appearance. It is the scene of much bustle and traffic, occasioned by the convenience of its harbour, at the opening of the canal into Loch Gilp, where, exclusive of the business in goods and passengers connected with the canal, it is computed that about 24,000 persons are landed and shipped annually, besides large numbers of sheep and cattle, by the Glasgow steam-vessels, three of which in summer, and one in winter, arrive here daily. In the adjacent harbour is a slip and steam-boat pier, erected in 1837, at an expense of more than £1000; and independently of the boats belonging to the parish, forty or fifty in number, many others, making together above 100, are frequently in the harbour in the fishing season, herrings being taken in Loch Fine, in very large numbers. One of the parochial schools was established here, but is now included in the new parish of Lochgilphead.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Knapdale, South — KNAPDALE, SOUTH, a parish, in the district and county of Argyll, 13 miles (N. by W.) from Tarbert; containing, with a portion of the quoad sacra district of Lochgilphead, 2223 inhabitants. The Gaelic term that gives name to this place consists … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Lochgilphead — LOCHGILPHEAD, a village, and lately a quoad sacra parish, partly in the parish of South Knapdale, but chiefly in that of Kilmichael Glassary, district and county of Argyll, 24 miles (S. W.) from Inverary; containing 2748 inhabitants, of whom… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland